Monday, August 30, 2010

Santa Teresa search

After 7 hours - 2 buses, 1 taxi, 1 ferry and 1 fuck up by Big Shoulders Lawrence we made it to Santa Teresa on the Nicola Peninsular. This little surf village stretches about 5km along one dirt road from Mal Pais, through Playa Carmen to Playa Santa Teresa. Like many of the breaks in Costa, Playa Carmen and Playa Santa Teresa are long beach breaks with peaks the whole way up each beach. We got there on the end of the swell so had a couple of days of heaving barrels/ closeouts and a couple days of beach break slush.

Other than the beachies there's a point break the lads hit up about a 40mins drive near Montezuma - the word post session was full of potential, but as it was lacking swell, the drive seemed like a waste of time. I missed the ride to the point by 5mins, which I was pretty pissed about. As a consolation, I solo checked out Playa Carmen, which to no surprise was a mess. Then to the south of Carmen, about 2 headlands away, I saw the faint makings of barrels breaking in front of a rock shelf. With ordinary surf everywhere else and nothing else to do, I set out on the trek to this mystery reef. 50 mins through my search I arrived at this rock platform that extended about 50 m from the headland. I hit the jackpot as the first set that rolled through unveiled a barrel breaking hard onto a rock ledge - about 5ft and drawing so much water it was about 2 foot below sea level. Other than a couple of fishing boats, I was the only one out. Shit yeah. Couple hours later right on sunset, I got out and made the trek back - I was at about 95% and alot more stoked on my session than the lads were on theirs.

Posted via email from PREMIUM JAM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers